Pages

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Top Ten Book Covers... With a Twist

Hello everybody!  You should never judge a book by its cover... but I'm am going to be doing today anyways. I initially wanted to do a post on my top ten favorite book covers, but then I thought of a more interesting idea. I love hardcover books even if they are more expensive I will almost always buy a hardcover over a soft cover. So I thought I could do a top ten list of my favourite book covers under the dust jacket. Just a disclaimer this list may be biased because I am going to base it off novels I own; so there could be prettier books out there. I just have yet to get my hands on them. Anyways without further ado lets get into the list!

10. Tigers Quest


Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck is a perfect example of how simple designs can be the most elegant. The typography and use of black and gold are both bold yet refined. Also although you can't tell by the picture the top two corners of the book are embossed which really adds to the overall affect.


9. Siege and Storm

Next on my list is Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo. I love so much about this cover. I think the bright red cloth is beautiful and helps to reflect the passion found within the story. The typography on the spine is absolutely stunning and, the dragon design at the bottom of the spine makes it look cohesive and exciting. My only complaint about this cover is the fact that the front of the book is completely blank. The spine is marvelous and very well designed. In contrast the plain front of the book falls flat.

8. Plain Kate

In eighth place is Plain Kate by Erin Bow. Which is another book with amazing typography and letters with luster. I appreciate the unique colour scheme used on the cover. Typically book covers are black or grey so this one really stands out from the monotone colours. Also the bright turquoise and  buttery yellow really compliment each other. The only downfall is once again the boring front cover.



7. Fairest


In spot number seven on the list we have Fairest which is a novella by Marissa Meyer. Similarly to Siege and Storm this cover has a beautiful spine and a blank cover that looks plain in comparison. I love how the letters on the side are shimmery, and do we even need to talk about the typography? It is freaking incredible. I also really like the design on the bottom of the spine I'm not sure if its a castle or a crown but it looks very nice and both item relate well to the novel. The reason I placed this book higher on the list than other books with similar designs is due entirley to the art on the inside of the cover. 

I can't even describe how much I adore this! it painted such a brilliant image of Queen Levana's castle within my mind as I read the book. I mean wow this art is fantastically gorgeous. (I'm not certain that's grammatically correct, but I'm gonna go with it)

6. Four

Next book on the list is Four by Veronica Roth. When I took the dust jacket off this book to see if I wanted it on this list I actually gasped. The Ferris Wheel design on the front cover is sleek and cool just like Four's character and the mix of dark blue and gold is splendid. I also think the spine looks exceptional and although the typography isn't my favourite on this list it is simple and eye-catching. Overall this cover is very aesthetically pleasing and cohesive.

5. Perfect Ruin


Fifth on the list is Perfect Ruin by Lauren Destefano. The spine of the book is the most gorgeous I have ever seen and probably ever will see. Everything about it is flawless, the use of negative space, the design, the shimmer, the typography. The spine of this book is a work of art. It may have placed even higher on this list but, the overall cover isn't as wonderful as some due to the plain front. 


3. Unhinged


Unhinged by A.G Howard makes me want to cry tears of joy simply because it is so beautiful. (and also a really good book) Where do I even start with this cover? The colours look expectational together, and the typography is like something out of a book of Fairytales which is very fitting. I also love the inclusion of moths on the front cover design because it is foreshadowing to the contents of the novel. This cover is truly a thing of beauty.

2.  Wonder Struck
Do I even need to explain why I put Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick on this list? Look at it, it is unlike any cover I have ever seen because the cover itself is art. Its as if someone picked up their paintbrush and decided to paint a masterpiece on the cover of this book. The image and colours within it are striking and have so much depth to them. Also this book is filled with illustrations so it is not only wonderful for the mind, but for the eyes as well.

1. The Cure for Dreaming


I always picture The Cure For Dreaming by Cat Winters on a shelf in Victorian London. It just fits so well there because it has an vintage charm to it and the typography on the front and spine reminds me of beautiful calligraphy. Honestly I don't have the words to describe how much I love every aspect of the appearance of this cover. The shining, iridescent letters add a whole magical element to it and the use of negative space on the spine is incredible. It would be a real challenge for any book to come close to bumping this one of the top of my book. The overall aesthetic of it is mind-blowing. 

I hope you enjoyed me getting waaaaaaay to excited about book covers. I hope to post again soon so keep coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment